9 Best WordPress Security & Malware Plugins
While WordPress is one of the ultimate content management systems, it has various faults. If you are utilizing WordPress and have a casual approach in terms of security, then you are treading on dangerous grounds.
A WordPress website can be compromised quite easily. There are numerous loopholes that cyber-criminals understand well and will go to all heights to jeopardize your website. New vulnerabilities in plugins and themes are discovered all the time and you need to better protect your WordPress site against this attacks to not loose everything.
You can safeguard your website with the following Best WordPress Security & Malware Plugins. This is a list with the best ones that are out there and have important features like: malware scanner, firewall, audits, DDOS protection, user passwords checks, etc
Do you need help with your projects?
Best Malware & Security Plugins For WordPress
1. Wordfence Security – Firewall & Malware Scan
The Wordfence Security plugin comes with a malware scanner and an endpoint firewall that are specially designed from scratch to provide your WordPress website with optimal protection.
This plugin also features a Threat Defense Feed arms Wordfence which comes with the latest firewall rules, malicious IP addresses, and malware signatures it requires to safeguard your website. Wordfence is among the all-inclusive WordPress security solutions there is in the industry today.
The plugin has a Free option that covers most of the basic needs. The malware scanner helped me identify the problems very fast in various situations. The paid version is 99$ for one site and you will get more options like more malware signatures and an enhanced firewall.
- A web application firewall which facilitates identification and barring of malicious traffic.
- Actual time IP Blacklist that blocks all requests from malicious IPs hence safeguarding your website while minimizing load.
- Real-time IP Blacklist blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, protecting your site while reducing the load.
- Malware scanner which peruses through principal plugins, themes, and files to identify bad URLs, malware, SEO spam, backdoors, code injections, and malicious redirects.
- Robust templates which help you configure WordFence with ease.
- Enables you to develop advanced rules depending on Hostname, IP Range, Referrer, and User Agent. Users can still block attackers using their IP
2. iThemes Security
iThemes Security was formerly known as WP Security. This plugin offers users more than 30 ways to safeguard their WordPress websites. Studies suggest that approximately 30,000 websites are hacked on a daily basis. WordPress websites are particularly susceptible to attacks due to obsolete software, plugin exposure, and weak passwords.
Many WordPress administrators are unaware of how vulnerable they are. With iThemes Security, you can: solve common holes, lock down your WordPress website, prevent automated attackers, and reinforce user credentials.
This plugin provides users with advanced features to reinforce their WordPress websites. iThemes is responsible for the support and maintenance of this plugin and has been providing WordPress tools for more than 10 years now.
The price for 1 site is is starting from 80$ and in this, you will have extra options like malware scanners, 2-factor authentication, etc. The price is quite good.
- Two-factor authentication for enhanced security on your WordPress website
- Malware scan scheduling which allows you to scan your website for malware every day and alert you in case of an issue.
- WordPress security and salts keys which help you to update your WordPress salts and keys with ease.
- Expiration of a password. You can set a maximum age for your password as well as have users select a new password whenever the need arises.
- Enhance the security of your website with Google reCAPTCHA and keep spammers at bay.
- Securing your password. You can easily generate robust passwords from your screen profile
3. Sucuri Security
Sucuri Inc. is an authority that’s recognized worldwide in everything to do with website security even though it specialized in WordPress Security. The Sucuri Security WordPress plugin is free for every WordPress user. This plugin is specially designed to supplement your existing security details. Sucuri comes with various features for every user’s website and these are specially designed to enhance every website’s security posture.
Sucuri is the most known online security auditor and that’s why the prices are starting from 199.99$ for 1 website per year.
- File integrity tracking features
- Security activity auditing
- Ability to scan malware remotely
- Effective security hardening
- Monitoring of the blacklist
- Pst hack security actions
- Website firewall for all users utilizing the premium option of this plugin
- Security Notifications.
Malcare is a WordPress security plugin which helps WordPress website users to instantly remove malware from their websites. This plugin comes with an auto-clean feature which ensures that your website is clean without having to wait for days or even hours.
Malcare is easy to configure and is usually ready to use in less than a minute. When it comes to scanning your website, this plugin scans it on their own servers which means that they eliminate load from your server resources enabling your website to efficiently operate at peak speeds without users having to lose their visitors. For more details, you can check this MalCare review
Get the basic plan for $8.25 annually of the advanced plan for $20.75 each month.
- Actual time protection from some of the most advanced threats with the help of the smart firewall
- Robust algorithms which surpass signature matching to help detect the most intricate hacks which are likely to be undetected by other security plugins.
- MalCare’s algorithms go beyond signature matching to detect even the most complex of hacks that generally go undetected in other popular security plugins.
- A dashboard that allows for team collaboration
- Produce client reports in order to keep them up to speed on some on the actions they can take in a bid to propelling their businesses to higher heights.
5. Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall
The Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall is specially designed to run an entire scan in a bid to automatically eradicate available security threats, database injections, and backdoor scripts. This plugin is available in both a free and premium version.
- A robust firewall to block malware and other SoakSoak hence preventing it from utilizing various plugins such as Revolution Slider which come with obvious vulnerabilities.
- Provides download definition updates to safeguard against new threats.
- Customizes vulnerable timthumb script versions.
- Ability to patch your XMLRPC and WordPress login to block DDoS and Brute Force attacks. This feature is exclusive for premium users.
- Monitor the stability of your WordPress principal files for premium users
- Download new definition updates automatically whenever you are executing an entire system scan. Still, this feature is only available for premium users of this plugin.
6. Quttera Web Malware Scanner
This plugin peruses all the blacklisting agencies to identify whether or not your website has been blocked. With this plugin, you can be sure that your website is safe and that both you and users of your website are adequately protected.
- Establish the status of your blacklist
- Scan your website in a single click
- Detect unknown malware
- Recognize your external links
- No pattern or signatures updates required
- Comes complete with cloud technology for enhanced functionality
- Comes with an artificial intelligence scan engine
- Offers a comprehensive investigation report
- Investigate your WordPress files with ease
- Detect injected PHP shells.
- Establish whether files are infected by PHP malware
7. WP fail2ban
WP fail2ban is open source software and one of the most effective and simplest security measures you can adopt to avert brute-force attacks. This plugin logs all the login attempts including those attempted via XML-RPC whether they succeeded or not to syslog through the use of LOG_AUTH. This plugin features 3 fail2ban filters: WordPress-extra.conf., WordPress-soft.conf, and WordPress-hard.conf. These filters are designed to enable a split between hard banning and the conventional soft approach with additional rules for custom configurations.
- WP fail2ban can be set up to operate with CloudFlare and other proxy servers.
- This plugin is capable of logging all failed pingbacks
- This plugin can block user enumeration
- Use this plugin to log comments marked as spam
- Configure your WP fail2ban to cut short the login procedure when a username matches a regex
- Configure this plugin to allow it to operate around a big percentage of syslogd weirdness.
- Configure this plugin with ease and convert it into a must use plugin.
8. SecuPress Free — WordPress Security
The SecuPress Free — WordPress Security helps you to safeguard your WordPress website. It comes with malware scan capability to help you protect your website from block bots & suspicious IPs. You can get a comprehensive security kit for your WordPress website free of charge. You can also choose the pro plugin version.
Difference between Pro and Free Version
The free security plugin is specially designed for proactive individuals. If you lack time to activate scan, consider using the SecuPress. The plugin will absorb everything using automated tasks. The Pro version costs from 70$ for one website.
- Block country by geolocation
- Blocked IPs
- Anti Brute Force login
- malware scan
- Security alerts
This plugin comes with exclusive features which are unavailable in other WordPress security plugins. They are:
- Protection of Security Keys
- Vulnerable Plugins & Themes detection
- Block visits from Bad Bots
- Security Reports in PDF format
9. All In One WP Security & Firewall
This plugin is stable, easy to use, and adequately reinforced. This plugin is designed to reinforce the security of your website. This plugin is developed and written experts who were sure to make it user-friendly. This plugin cuts down security risk by establishing vulnerabilities and adopting and putting in place the latest and most advanced WordPress security techniques and practices recommended by WordPress.
- This plugin utilizes unparalleled security points to figure out the level of your protection.
- Establish whether a user account is utilizing admin as their username and changing them accordingly.
- Plugin figures out whether the users have WordPress accounts with identical display and login details.
- Helps you create a robust password
If you are looking to enhance the security of your WordPress website, choose the best that appeals to you from the above list.